Teams will design and build paper darts and then test the darts by launching them from drinking straws.
- 2 Pieces 8.5" x 11" Paper
- 4 Index cards
- Scotch tape
- Drinking straw per student
- Long tape measure to measure launch distance
- Markers for Decoration (Optional)
Give students some basic guidelines for constructing their darts:
- Cut a strip of paper about 2 inches wide and as long as desired. This will become the dart body.
- Wrap the paper around a straw. Make sure it is not too tight so that the “dart” can slide off the straw. Tape the paper in a tube shape, being careful not to tape it to the straw.
- Offer suggestions for how to make nosecones and fins.
NGSS Standard(s): 3-ETS1-1, 3-ETS1-2, 3-ETS1-3, 3-PS2-1, 3-PS2-2, 4-ETS1-1, 4-ETS1-2, 4-ETS1-3, 4-PS3-1, 4-PS3-3, 5-ETS1-1, 5-ETS1-2, 5-ETS1-3, 5-PS2-1
CCSS Standard(s): ELA, Math, MP.2, MP.5, W.3.10, W.3.3, W.4.10, W.4.3, W.5.10, W.5.3